This FOTD was inspired by one of the looks in the latest issue of Taiwanese beauty magazine, Queen 女人我最大 (post here). But it’s a look I have always wanted to try – vintage orient inspired by the Old Shanghai.
Decadence in Shanghai was at its height in 1920s and 30s. Known as the “Paris of Asia,” 19th-century Shanghai boasted fine restaurants, exquisite craft shops, back street opium dens, gambling parlors, smoky jazz clubs and brothels. Night-life at the Shanghai cabaret was a delicious fusion of western Jazz bands with Chinese songstresses, and elegant women in the finest silk cheongsam.
Makeup in that era was very much influenced by Hollywood, but with the use of deep reds that look so exotic against the meticulously coiffed dark hair.
The key here is to use a medium coverage matte foundation with the slightest touch of earthy peach blush.
- Nutox Oxyfusion Advanced Serum Concentrate
- Face of Australia Photo Finish Compact Foundation Ivory
- Face of Australia Stick Foundation Ivory - used as concealer under my eyes
- Face of Australia Translucent Loose Powder
- Laura Mercier Eyeshadow Fresco (colour A) – used to contour sides of my nose
The brows are thin but dark, with an arch on the outer 1/3.
- Solone Waterproof Gel Eyeliner Pencil Black
- Laura Mercier Eyeshadow Coffee Ground (colour B) – to soften the line and fill in gaps
- Laura Mercier Eyeshadow Cafe Au Lait (colour C) – to contour the sockets
- Kanebo T’estimo eyeshadow No. 3 (colour D) – a satin taupe all over the lids
- Kanebo T’estimo eyeshadow No. 3 (colour E) – a shimmery ivory applied to the inner 1/2 of the lids
- Laura Mercier Eyeshadow Sesame (colour F) – applied under the brows to enhance the contours of the socket and shape of the brows
- Face of Australia Liquid Eyeliner Black
- Kiss Me Heroine Make Long & Curl Mascara
The lips are full with feminine round edges (no harsh pointy peaks), in shades of plum, deep reds or chocolate. I’ve actually used a deep chocolately plum lipstick, but the SPF base has thrown out a lot more blue in photograph.
- Face of Australia Lip Quench Lipstick Pure Plum
I have really loved doing this look! Now I just need someone to throw a themed party so I have an excuse to wear this, together with my choengsam for a night out
Incoming search terms:
- laura mercier custom compact 6
- face with no makeup looking straight at camera with hair down
- brothels in shanghai
- laura mercier silk creme foundation
- elegant eyeshadow
- laura mercier cafe au lait eye shadow
- la mer loose powder beige swatch
- arche pure pearl cream review
- covergirl advanced radiance age-defying liquid makeup
- coiffed hair