Powder foundation seems to be a makeup item favoured by the Asians a lot more than Western women. I could be totally wrong in that opinion; just that whilst in Australia, I didn’t see many powder foundations available in the market, other than mineral foundations.
Since arriving in Taiwan, I’ve tried a few powder foundations. Most I don’t like at all (read about my disappointment with the Za Cosmetics one here), until I came across the Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation.
Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation is an upgrade of the Skin Fusing Powder Foundation, the latter of which I trialled before and loved.
Powder foundations are in compact form. The biggest advantage in this is convenience, not only in the first application but also for touch-ups throughout the day. Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation is housed in Lunasol’s signature metallic case (foundation refill and case sold separately), which is slick and reasonably resistant to finger prints.
Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation comes with a sponge that has 2 different sides. The top white side has a denser texture which can give more coverage, and the bottom beige side for regular application.
The texture of the powder is what makes the Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation different to other powder foundations. It’s creamy yet light, so it’s able to give great coverage, yet does not sink into pores or leave a dry and powdery finish.
I thought I’d combine the before and after pics with how I cover up blemishes, which I’m battling with currently due to my insane working hours.
First and foremost, I want to stress that the most important thing when suffering breakouts, is to nurse it back to health with good skincare. For me, it’s a combination of mild cleansers, AHA products, and a variety of masks (read my skincare routine part 1 and part 2).
However, I understand that cover up is required when braving the public with blemishes. But the key message is: do not cover blemishes under a thick layer of makeup! This exacerbates the bumpiness and the discolouration of the blemishes, and there’s nothing more unattractive than a thick layer of war paint on what’s supposed to be human skin.
My simple steps of covering blemishes are:
- Prep and prime the skin with your choice of moisturiser and primer. I keep mine to a light hydrating moisturiser to allow my skin to breathe.
- Using the beige side of the sponge, apply a thin layer of Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation all over the face. You can see how it nicely smooths over the pores, reducing redness and about 70% of the blemishes.
- Take a soft, yellow based stick concealer (I love Face of Australia concealer in warm), gently dot over the blemishes.
- Using the white side of the sponge, set only the parts with concealer with another thin layer of Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation (not the whole face).
- Use a good highlighting powder (I love Za Cosmetics Cheeks Groovy in 05 June Bride) under the eyes, nose bridge, chin and above the cupid’s bow.
- Dust the tiniest bit of pink blush on the apples – I use Face of Australia blush in Hello Dolly.
- You may find it necessary to repeat steps 3 and 4 for the blemishes on the apples of the cheeks, to lighten the blush that have gathered on the blemishes.
Voila! A natural and luminous complexion, seemingly untouched by the dreaded scarlet A (Acne ).
I just adore the Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation – it’s perfect for a lazy, oily-skin girl like me, as it’s so easy to apply, and gives me a natural-looking, shine-free finish that lasts for ages. For the ladies with drier skin, use plenty of hydrating serum, a richer moisturiser and primer underneath.
For the ladies suffering blemished skin, the Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation offers great coverage with the thinnest layer. With the addition of a good concealer, highlighter and blush, you can effortlessly cheat your way to flawless, healthy-looking skin.
Lunasol Skin Modeling Powder Foundation retails for NT$1500 for refills; NT$550 for compact (include sponge) and is available from Lunasol counters nation-wide. For non-Asia residents please try reputable Ebay sellers.
Incoming search terms:
- lunasol skin modeling powder foundation
- lunasol powder foundation
- lunasol skin modeling powder foundation review
- lunasol skin fusing powder foundation
- lunasol powder
- lunasol skin modelling foundation
- kanebo lunasol skin modeling powder foundation
- lunasol skin modeling foundation
- lunasol modeling powder foundation
- skin modeling powder foundation 2013